Thursday, May 30, 2013

Minnesota Storms

Minnesota is best known as the Land of Ten Thousand Lakes, but I know it as the Land of Ten Thousand Storms. Although Minnesotans are stereotyped as quiet, passive aggressive Northerners  our weather is the opposite: loud, aggressive and in your face. The summer is sweltering and incredibly humid. Walking outside will cause any fit person to pour sweat down the back of their shirt. The fall is sharp, gnawing and drawn out. Winters are infamous. I had a snow day on March 5th this year. You know the snow is bad when Minnesotan schools close. Springs are punctured with strong storms that tear apart the beautiful budding flowers and newly glistening leaves.


Ferns that are unlikely to survive the next thunderstorm bravely unfold.


When I was studying for my midterms junior year, my father called me on the phone intercom system (his favorite technology discovery of 2012) and said "Come outside with your camera quick! There are a bunch of clouds that look like butts!"


When it started hailing, my dad ran outside and collected hailstones to freeze and put in his drinks later.


Rain almost always comes at night.


I know summer is around the corner when I am watching the storm inside the screened porch after the sun sets.


No comments:

Post a Comment